April 1913: Erection of Ely Memorial Tower Considered by City of Binghamton but Never Built.

THE BINGHAMTON PRESS, SATURDAY EVENING, APRIL 12, 1913

View of the original Ely Tower built in 1893 and demolished by a wind storm in 1908. It stood for 15 years and gave Binghamtonians a great view of their city and surrounding countryside.

View of the original Ely Tower built in 1893 and demolished by a wind storm in 1908. It stood for 15 years and gave Binghamtonians a great view of their city and surrounding countryside.

Binghamton will finally begin this summer the erection of an Ely Memorial Tower to the memory of S. Mills Ely, who gave the city a valuable tract of land on the crest of Mount Prospect for a city park and built a concrete stairway leading from Prospect Street to the park.

When the park was given to the city a wooden observatory occupied the crest, and from its top a view of the entire country could be obtained, the village of Owego being discernible with a strong glass on a clear day.

The 'Gateway to Ely Park, referenced in the article. Photo CreditL Unknown

The ‘Gateway to Ely Park, referenced in the article. Photo Credit: Unknown

A tornado wrecked part of the tower, and later the remainder was destroyed by fire.

Mayor John J. Irving and Park Commissioner John Ring now are considering a plan for the immediate rebuilding of the observatory.

It is hoped the building can be completed early in the summer, that it may be available to the numerous picnic parties visiting the park this year.

This gateway was constructed on Prospect directly across from Oak Street.

NOTE: Gratitude to Bob Bullock for sharing this article and six pictures on Facebook’s Historic Binghamton public page on September 29, 2015.

 

Speak Your Mind

*