History/Timeline of S. Mills Ely House at 85 Henry Street!



100 YEARS AGO TODAY… November 24, 1920
The Safety Garage Parking Company, Inc. is organized to build a large parking garage on the S. Mills Ely property on Henry street, the first devoted exclusively to parking Binghamton has ever had. Plans were presented by the architect, Arthur T. Lacey, calling for a building to accommodate virtually 500 cars.
This was incorrect information placed in the newspaper by the FORMER Broome County Historian. It was the Waring Weed mansion that was razed in 1917 to build the Sharpe/Sun block at 66 Chenango street. There are no parts of the old home incorporated into the present building. That is some pipe dream! The S. Mills Ely house was at 85 Henry street almost directly across from Carroll street. (Facebook Comment by Historic Binghamton